Wednesday, October 13, 2010

JOAN COLLINS … “DAY OF CLASSIC HOLLYWOOD BEAUTY IS OVER”

 

Joan Collins  Esther and the King (1960)

For almost sixty years she has been a screen siren and even now at 77 is still the picture of youthful glamour. But in a scathing attack on modern stars Joan Collins has warned that the age of the classic Hollywood beauty is over. The Dynasty actress said now the public were ‘starved of gorgeous people’ compared to the golden age of film which was dominated by beauties such as Audrey Hepburn, Ava Gardner and Grace Kelly.

She added: "When I was young, everybody on screen was gorgeous. I have to say, there aren’t that many good looking actresses around today. I mean, there’s Angelina Jolie and there’s... Angelina Jolie. Jennifer Aniston is cute, but I wouldn’t call her beautiful. She’s no Ava [Gardner] or Lana [Turner]."

Miss Collins also suggested that part of Cheryl Cole’s success and transformation into the nation’s sweetheart is down to the fact she is beautiful. "I think that is why Cheryl Cole is so popular, because she is just so pretty and the public are starved of gorgeous people," she told Hello magazine.

Miss Collins said that in her youth stars also made more effort with their appearance and looked far more glamorous and stylish than the modern crop of actresses.

She said recently: "Perhaps actresses of today, in their desire to be “taken seriously”, feel that being groomed and well put together detracts from their ability. Yes, I know fashions change and everyone attempts to look up-to-date but the movie-star styles of the Twenties, Thirties, Forties and Fifties changed radically each decade. What didn’t change, however, was their individual style; they were all one-offs."

Miss Collins, who renewed her vows to fifth husband – 44 year old Percy Gibson last year – is usually held up as an example of how to grow old gracefully.

She has always insisted she would never resort to cosmetic surgery to maintain her looks, preferring to grow old as gracefully as possible and has criticized many of her Hollywood contemporaries who have gone under the knife.

She said: "Women who turn to cosmetic procedures look ghastly. They don’t look like themselves. I quite like the way I look, I’m quite happy with the way I look and I really don’t want to change it. In front of the camera my skin probably isn’t nearly as good as it used to be. But, I mean, what the hell, everybody’s got to get older. I think there’s something rather terrifying about people who are in their 50s or 60s trying to look 30 or 40."

She added that the secret to maintaining her slim size 10-12 figure is ‘portion control’.

"People eat far too much these days and I’m very aware of the penalties of putting on weight," she explained. "If you eat junk, you look like junk. People say, “It’s not my fault, it’s my glands”. It’s not, it is greed."

No comments:

Post a Comment