Thursday, January 13, 2011

LANGUAGE TRIVIA ... GOLDWYNISMS

 

Sameul-Goldwyn 001

Sam Goldwyn, notable Hollywood film producer and studio owner, was noted for his malapropisms that became known as Goldwynisms. Some of his contributions to the world of language are:

Include me out

We’re overpaying him but he’s worth it

We want a story that starts with an earthquake and works its way up to a climax

It’s more than magnificent, it’s mediocre

In two words: im-possible

If Roosevelt were alive, he’d turn in his grave.

I’ve read part of it all the way through

Let’s have some new clichés

A bachelor’s life is no life for a single man

Anybody who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head read

A verbal contract isn’t worth the paper it’s written on

I’ll give you a definite maybe

We have all passed a lot of water since then

Yes, my wife’s hands are very beautiful. I’m going to have a bust made of them.

Gentlemen, I want you to know that I am not always right, but I am never wrong

A wide screen makes a bad film twice as bad

No comments:

Post a Comment