Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Lena Horne - The Best Of - The United Artists & Blue Note Recording


lena horne

Best of Lena Horne is a fine two CD set with so much of her incredible singing; and there's not a dud in the bunch! Lena could take anything and turn it into the most beautiful symphony; her ability to interpret lyrics was all that good. Lena lives on through her great work including the songs on this two CD set. In addition, the quality of the sound is excellent and the artwork is very nicely done.

"On a Wonderful Day Like Today" starts the first CD with a terrific electric number that grabs attention and never lets it go until the second CD is finished! The many favourites include "I Wanna Be Around" is so very romantic in Lena's capable hands; "Feelin' Good" with that excellent musical arrangement; "Willow Weep for Me;" "The Girl from Ipanema" that certainly gets the royal treatment from Lena; "Softly As I Leave You" which makes great use of the strings; the classic "And I Love Him;" "Hello, Young Lovers" from "The King and I;" "Singin' In the Rain" which Lena sings with panache; "Somewhere" from "West Side Story;" the hit "Wives and Lovers" which I first heard performed by Jack Jones; "Moon River" from "Breakfast at Tiffany's;" a red hot rendition of "A Fine Romance;" "I Love Paris;" "What The World Need Now Is Love" which sounds so perfect when the great Lena Horne sings it and the first CD ends with Lena Horne performing "Unchained Melody."

Of course, this being Lena Horne, the second CD contains so many more gems. "Day Follows Day" has Lena singing with Johnny Mathis; they do this faultlessly. "Old Friend" is very well done; the romantic and very sensitive "You're the One." "I'll Always Leave the Door a Little Open" has Lena handling complex tempo and key changes like the pro she always was; and those live recordings of songs like "Come Runnin';" "Do Nothin' 'Til You Hear from Me;" "I've Got the World on a String;" "We'll Be Together Again" and "The Lady Is a Tramp" showcase Lena's natural ability to establish a superlative rapport with her adoring audiences.

"Some of My Best Friends Are the Blues" has Lena at her usual very best; and "As Long As I Live" is very special. "Autumn in New York" and "Sleepin' Bee" are two more classics; Lena delivers these flawlessly and I'm very impressed. "How Long Has This Been Going On?" is one of the tracks with a very creative arrangement that lets Lena show off the wide range of her voice; and "Something to Live For" is not just beautiful; it's bliss. The second CD closes with Lena Horne singing her heart out on "Stormy Weather;" and it leaves wanting more!

Lena Horne's genius was one we rarely hear and enjoy; we are so much better off for her having shared her various talents with us. This is terrific for any Lena Horne fan; and even newcomers to Lena's artistry will not be disappointed. 

Track Listing:
CD 1
:
01. On A Wonderful Day Like Today [2:18]
02. I Wanna Be Around [2:30]
03. Feelin' Good [3:38]
04. Willow Weep For me [2:40]
05. The Girl from Ipanema [2:39]
06. Softly As I Leave You [3:03]
07. And I Love Him [2:55]
08. Hello, Young Lovers [2:19]
09. Singin' In The Rain [2:54]
10. Somewhere [2:30]
11. Wives & Lovers [2:14]
12. It Had Better Be Tonight [2:21]
13. Moon River [3:31]
14. A Fine Romance [2:59]
15. I Love Paris [3:31]
16. It's A mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World [1:56]
17. I Got A Worried Man [3:05]
18. Wonder What I'm Gonna Do [2:54]
19. Love Bug [2:13]
20. What The World Needs Now Is Love [2:25]
21. Unchained Melody [3:01]
 
CD 2:
01. Prelude To A Kiss [4:45]
02. Day Follows Day (With Johnny Mathis) [3:01]
03. Old Friend [2:52]
04. You're The One [3:47]
05. I'll Always Leave The Door A Little Open [3:38]
06. I've Got To Have You [4:21]
07. Come Runnin' [3:08]
08. Do Nothin' 'Til You Hear From Me [4:21]
09. I've Got The World On A String [4:56]
10. We'll Be Together Again [3:36]
11. The Lady Is A Tramp [3:05]
12. Some Of My Best Friends Are The Blues [3:42]
13. As Long As I Live [2:27]
14. Autumn In New York [4:25]
15. Sleepin' Bee [3:36]
16. How Long Has This Been Going On [4:42]
17. Maybe [2:43]
18. Something To Live For [4:31]
19. Stormy Weather [3:49]

No comments:

Post a Comment