Saturday, May 7, 2011

MUSIC BITS … “I’M CRAZY ‘BOUT THE TURKEY TROT”

 

dancing_clip_image007

Title:  I'm Crazy 'Bout the Turkey Trot.

Author: Joe Goodwin (lyricist); George W. Meyer (composer)

Date: 1911

The Turkey Trot

The chorus of I'm Crazy 'bout the Turkey Trot, a popular ragtime tune from the early 1900's, describes the steps used in the dance: "Gobble, Gobble, while the music’s playing.  Hobble, Wobble, let your feet go swaying.  Babe this sure is going some, I just feel like crowing “Hon”. Slower, faster, not the way you useter. You’re a chicken, I’m a great big rooster…Sigh with me and try with me, to crack your wings and fly with me. ‘Great Scott’ tell you what, I’m crazy ‘bout the Turkey Trot”


The Turkey Trot consisted of a fast, marching one-step dance while the dancers pumped their arms at their sides. The dancers would then use arm-flaps occasionally that represented a crazed turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment