Saturday, February 18, 2012
- I just got lost in thought, and it was unfamiliar territory.
- I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
- You have the right to remain silent, anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
- Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?
- Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
- The problem with sex in the movies is the popcorn usually spills.
- Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.
- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
- I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.
- Time is a great healer, but a terrible beautician.
- I intend to live forever - so far so good.
THE MUSIC OF JOHN WILLIAMS - THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION
Features 87 Tracks With Over 7 Hours of Music
Since 1972, when he won his first Oscar, John Williams has received 47 Oscar nominations including 5 wins, 2 Emmys, 3 Golden Globes, 7 BAFTAs and more then twenty Gold and Platinum Records. Today, he is one of the most respected and acclaimed composers in Hollywood.
Perhaps the film composer of the biggest number of instantly recognizable themes and motifs, John Williams's immense musical output has now secured him a “cultural icon” status. On February 8th this icon turned 80.
2012 also marks 40 years since John Williams and Steven Spielberg first met and started a hugely successful collaboration lasting to this day. Spielberg's composer of choice, Williams penned the unforgettable music for Jaws, Schindler's List, the four Indiana Jones films, E.T., Saving Private Ryan, as well as now classic themes for the Star Wars series, Superman and the first three Harry Potter films.
The immense quantity and quality of John Williams's film scores has propelled his work into the top All-Time Worldwide Box Office films list - he scored 16 of them, more than any other composer. In 2005, the American Film Institute unveiled its list of the Top 25 Film Scores of all time and John Williams appears at #1 (Star Wars), # 6 (Jaws) and # 14 (E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial).
“John certainly has the most considerable impact because his music immediately bypasses the brain and goes straight to your heart. That's the way he's always been... an amazing talent."
- Steven Spielberg
The collection is performed by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.
CD and Digital Album: SILCD 1382
Release Date: Feb. 21, 2012
THE MUSIC OF JOHN WILLIAMS – THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION
CD1 - Star Wars
Star Wars: A New Hope
01. Star Wars: A New Hope 05:24
02. Cantina Band 03:00
03. Princess Leia 04:46
04. The Throne Room / Finale 07:35
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
05 .The Imperial March 03:13
06 .Han Solo and The Princess 04:11
07 .The Asteroid Field 04:25
08. Yoda's Theme 03:52
Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
09. Forest Battle 03:52
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
10. Anakin's Theme 02:51
11 .The Flag Parade 03:18
12. The Adventures Of Jar Jar 03:26
13. Duel Of The Fates 04:11
Star Wars: Attack Of The Clone
14. Across The Stars 05:41
Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith
15. Battle Of The Heroes 04:20
CD2 - Indiana Jones
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
01. The Raiders March 02:40
02. The Map Room / Dawn 04:08
03. The Basket Game 04:23
04. Marion's Theme 03:42
05. Airplane Fight 04:22
06. The Ark Trek 01:28
07. Raiders Of The Lost Ark 05:26
Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom
08. Nocturnal Activities 02:02
09. The Mine Car Chase 03:31
10. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom End Credits 06:31
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
11. Indy's First Adventure 08:27
12. X Marks The Spot / Escape From Venice 05:22
13. No Ticket / Keeping Up With The Joneses 04:07
14. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade End Credits 11:22
CD3 - Harry Potter
Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone
01. Hedwig's Theme 04:53
02. Nimbus 2000 02:24
03. Harry's Wondrous World 05:03
04. Christmas at Hogwarts 01:47
05. Leaving Hogwarts 02:19
Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets
06. Fawkes The Phoenix 03:39
07. The Chamber of Secrets 04:13
08. Gilderoy Lockhart 02:00
09. Dobby the House Elf 03:35
10. Reunion of Friends 05:46
Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban
11. Aunt Marge's Waltz 02:21
12. The Knight Bus 02:50
13. Double Trouble 02:51
14. A Window to the Past 03:51
15. Witches, Wands and Wizards 05:28
16. Mischief Managed / A Window to the Past / Buckbeak's Flight 07:05
CD4 - 40 Years of Williams and Spielberg
01. The Adventures Of Tintin - The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn 03:06
02. The Reunion - War Horse 03:54
03. War Of The Worlds Suite - War Of The Worlds 07:36
04. A Prayer for Peace – Munich 04:17
05. The Tale of Viktor Navorski - The Terminal 04:14
06. Minority Report - Minority Report 03:58
07. Catch Me If You Can - Catch Me If You Can 03:01
08. Where Dreams Are Born - Artificial Intelligence: AI 03:46
09. Hymn To The Fallen - Saving Private Ryan 06:03
10. Dry Your Tears, Afrika - Amistad 03:39
11. Schindler’s List - Schindler's List 04:18
12. Jurassic Park Suite - Jurassic Park 05:55
13. Hook Main Themes - Hook 04:07
14. Follow Me / Dorinda's Solo Flight – Always 03:46
15. Exsultate Justi - Empire Of The Sun 05:01
CD5 - 40 Years of Williams and Spielberg / Film & Concert Work
01. Adventures On Earth - E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 10:57
02. March from 1941 – 1941 04:35
03. The Conversation Begins / Main Title / Resolution and Finale - Close Encounters Of The Third Kind 08:14
04. Jaws – Jaws 02:15
05. The Sugarland Express - The Sugarland Express 03:44
06. Sayuri's Theme & End Credits - Memoirs of a Geisha 05:50
07. Far And Away End Credits - Far And Away 05:47
08. Arlington / End Titles – JFK 10:00
09. Presumed Innocent - Presumed Innocent 04:17
10. Born On The Fourth Of July End Credits - Born On The Fourth Of July 05:44
11. Dance Of The Witches - The Witches Of Eastwick 04:37
12. The River Main Theme / Love Theme - The River 05:03
13. Olympic Fanfare and Theme - Olympic Fanfare and Theme 04:07
CD6 Film & Concert Work
01. Main Titles & Storm - Dracula 04:53
02. The Fury - The Fury 02:55
03. Superman – Superman 04:11
04. Black Sunday Suite - Black Sunday 10:31
05. The Missouri Breaks Love Theme - The Missouri Breaks 02:35
06. Family Plot End Titles - Family Plot 03:52
07. Battle of Midway - Battle of Midway 04:32
08. The Towering Inferno - The Towering Inferno 05:08
09. Earthquake – Earthquake 03:17
10. Variations On A Theme by John Williams - The Long Goodbye 11:50
11. Nice To Be Around - Cinderella Liberty 04:00
12. The Poseidon Adventure - The Poseidon Adventure 02:55
13. The Cowboys - The Cowboys 03:31
14. The Jane Eyre Theme - Jane Eyre 03:28
15. The Cross-Breed / End Credits - The Rare Breed 04:23
- Some hotels in Las Vegas have gambling tables floating in their swimming pools.
- Some moral purists in the Middle Ages believed that women's ears ought to be covered up because the Virgin May had conceived a child through them.
- Some people never develop fingerprints at all. Two rare genetic defects, known as Naegeli syndrome and dermatopathia pigmentosa reticularis, can leave carriers without any identifying ridges on their skin.
- Some soft drinks are made sweeter by adding coal.
- Some very Orthodox Jew refuse to speak Hebrew, believing it to be a language reserved only for the Prophets.
- Someone who grinds their teeth is a bruxomaniac.
- Sophia Loren's sister was once married to the son of the Italian dictator, Mussolini.
- South Africa produces two-thirds of the world's gold.
- South American gauchos were known to put raw steak under their saddles before starting a day's riding, in order to tenderise the meat.
- Spain literally means 'the land of rabbits'.
Friday, February 17, 2012
The Painted Veil - 1934
Director: Richard Boleslawski
Stars: Greta Garbo, Herbert Marshall and George Brent
In Austria, Katrin is lonely after her sister's marriage and she agrees to marry her father's research associate Dr. Walter Fane. Fane takes her to China but constantly ignores her in favour of his medical research. Lonely Katrin has an affair with Jack Townsend of the British Embassy. When it is discovered by Walter he becomes very bitter. Fane travels to fight a cholera epidemic and Katrin goes with him and helps. They grow closer together than ever before but Walter is knifed in a riot incited by the burning of a cholera infested town. Now their new found happiness will depend on Walter's survival.
USA 23 November 1934
Do not pass love by...It may never come again!
Runtime: 85 min
Sound Mix: Mono (Western Electric Sound System)
Colour: Black and White
Aspect Ratio: 1.37 : 1
Background shots in China supervised by George W. Hill were also used in The Good Earth.
Queen Christina and The Painted Veil, which were both huge hits in Europe making twice their budget in the UK alone, but were underwhelming US successes.
Greta Garbo Deluxe Boxset - 2dvd and Booklet 24 Pages: The Painted Veil (El Velo Pintado) 1934 / Inspiration (Inspiracion) 1931 (Spanish Import) (English Language)
- Sorry, Chris and Susan aren't here right now. Please leave your name and number after the tone. If you are calling regarding an outstanding debt, please leave your message BEFORE the tone.
(After a power outage:) Hi, this is Ralph. The good news is that my power is back on. The bad news for you is, so is my answering machine. So, leave a message.
- (Start, low pitch, slow:) Hhhhheeelllllloooooo thheeeerrrrrrre evvvvveerrrryyyboooodyyyy... (Middle, normal:) ...home of Veronica, Jaw-Chyi, Mark, and Mike. Nobody's home... (Later, high pitch, fast:) ...liketoleaveamessageafterthetonethen...(End, incomprehensible chipmunk gibberish:).kkfjdkeirucjkljfklreudjfkleqBEEP.
- Thank you for calling Soviet Embassy. No KG... Er, no diplomats are able to answer phone, so at sound of capitalist tone, leave name, telephone number, and short description of secrets you wish to sell .
- Hello. This is Nonoxynol-9, the personal and private telephone number of Mikhail Vladivostok Gorbachev, General Secretary of the Supreme Council of the glorious Communist Party of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, Commander-In-Chief of the Combined Armies of the Proletariat Peoples of Russia, First Citizen of the Order of Lenin, Supreme Patron of the Soviet Institute of Literature and Domestic Sciences, President of the Soviet People's Council of Peace and Happiness and Captain of the Kremlin B Squash Team. But hey, call me Mike .
- (US National Anthem; Ronald Reagan voice:) Uhh, hello... I'm, uhhh, ohhhhhh... (Pause.) Well, anyway, I'm here to answer the telephone on behalf of... erm... uhhhh... ermmm... (Pause.) I mean, he can't come to talk to you right now, but if you leave a message after the, umm oh, the uhhhh... the uhhhhhh... BEEP.
- You're growing tired. Your eyelids are getting heavy. You feel very sleepy now. You are gradually losing your willpower and your ability to resist suggestions. When you hear the tone, you will feel helplessly compelled to leave your name, number, and a message.
- Hello, you are talking to a machine. I am capable of receiving messages. .
- Hello, you've reached Jim and Sonya. We can't pick up the phone right now because we're doing something we really enjoy. Sonya likes doing it up and down, and I like doing it left to right....real slowly. So leave a message, and when we're done brushing our teeth we'll get back to you.
- This answering machine has been connected to a 5,000 volt power supply that has been wired to this small kitten (pathetic mewing). If you don't leave a message, Fluffy here gets it. The choice is yours.
Me no here. Me go bye. Leave me message. Me reply.
- (Narrator's voice:) There Dale sits, reading a magazine. Suddenly the telephone rings! The bathroom explodes into a veritable maelstrom of toilet paper, with Dale in the middle of it, his arms windmilling at incredible speeds! Will he make it in time? Alas no, his valiant effort is in vain. The bell hath sounded. Thou must leave a message.
Berlin Hauptbahnhof, or Berlin Central Station, is the main railway station in Berlin, Germany and the largest crossing station in Europe. It began full operation two days after a ceremonial opening on 26 May 2006.
It is now Europe's largest two-level railway station. It is located on the site of the historic Lehrter Bahnhof, and until it opened as a main line station, it was a stop on the Berlin S-Bahn suburban railway temporarily named Berlin Hauptbahnhof–Lehrter Bahnhof.
The station is operated by DB Station&Service, a subsidiary of Deutsche Bahn AG, and is classified as a Category 1 station considered equal to international airports in terms of service, are permanently staffed and carry all sorts of railway-related facilities as well as usually featuring a shopping mall in the station.
Berlin Hauptbahnhof timelapse