Friday, January 18, 2013

Barbara Cook: You Make Me Feel So Young - Live At Feinsteins (2011)

 

you-make-me-feel-so-young

Barbara Cook sits in that rarefied air occupied by only the finest cabaret/vocal singers. She has a silky tone that has become a little smokey with age, but she has gained colour in her lower register over time, and she exploits it to great effect. Her upper register may lack some of the sweetness that she had as a girl, but her expressive powers are at their absolute height.

She takes on a wonderful repertoire here, from "Here's to Life" so recently done by Streisand - sung differently, but wonderfully, and able to stand on its own feet, Barbara to Barbra! - to a wistful and sweet "Imagine". Her playfulness comes through on a wonderful "I got Rhythm". If you are a long time fan of Ms. Cook, this album is a simple sell. One listen to that wonderful voice and you'll be sold. But if you've never listened to her before, this is a wonderful album by a master storyteller/interpreter of some well beloved music.  Here's hoping that she continues making music well into her 90's!


Track Listing:

1. Are You Havin' Any Fun?
2. You Make Me Feel So Young
3. I've Grown Accustomed To His Face
4. Wait 'til You're Sixty-Five
5. The Frim Fram Sauce
6. When I Look In Your Eyes
7. What Did I Have That I Don't Have
8. Live Alone And Like It
9. This Can't Be Love
10. I've Got You Under My Skin
11. Love Is Good For Anything That Ails You
12. I'm A Fool To Want You
13. Here's To Life
14. I Got Rhythm
15. Imagine

No comments:

Post a Comment